Collegamenti ai contenuti della pagina:
il contenuto della pagina -
il menu di navigazione -
studenti internazionali

Contenuto della pagina

Entry Procedures

Entry and residence procedures for exchange students

In this section, you can find all information about your entry and stay in Pavia.

Non-EU students may enter Italy provided that they hold both a valid passport and, if required, an Entry Visa issued in their home country.
Students can also apply for a visa at the Italian Diplomatic and Consular Representations in their country of residence. The list of documents required for the application may vary according to reasons and length of applicants' stay.
Furthermore applicants will be asked to provide availability of economic means, as well as travel and accommodation arrangements.

Do you need a visa?

Depending on your citizenship, the duration and the reasons for your stay you may need to get a visa before coming to Italy.
You must go to the Italian diplomatic representation (Embassy or Consulate) and apply for a Study Visa Type D (= "long-term", i.e. valid for more than 90 days). With this Visa, you can travel to the other Member States of the Schengen area for three months in any half year, under the same conditions as the holder of a residence permit.

The supporting documents to be enclosed to the visa application can change depending on your nationality, residence, reason for the visit and length of stay in Italy.
Therefore, before applying for a visa for study purposes, you should check the documentation required on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation website.

Documents required to obtain an Entry Visa:
  • The visa application form filled in;
  • Passport-sized photo;
  • Valid passport;
  • Proof of possession of sufficient means of subsistence;
  • Travel ticket;
  • Health insurance valid in Italy. Health insurance must:
              cover expenses in the event of emergency treatments and/or urgent hospitalisation (admission via the hospital casualty ward);
              cover the entire duration of your stay in Italy;
              be valid for the territory of all Member States that fully implement the Schengen Treaty;
              ensure the policy-holder's repatriation in case of serious illness;
              be translated into Italian and authenticated by the Italian Embassy/Consulate.
  • Declaration of the availability of suitable accommodation/appropriate lodgings in Italy as well as the funds necessary for repatriation, possibly supported by a return airline ticket.

A valid Visa is also necessary to apply for the permit of stay once you are in Italy.

All visiting students coming to Pavia and remaining longer than three months must register with the immigration authorities as soon as they have an address in Pavia.

Once you arrive in Pavia you must report to the immigration authorities and apply for a permit of stay within 8 days.

Students should go to the Foreign Student’s office (Sportello Stranieri) and bring the following documents:
  • Photocopy of all the pages of your passport (also blank pages)
  • Photocopy of health insurance
  • Certificate of the enrolment at the University of Pavia issued by the “Segreteria studenti”
  • 1 revenue stamp of €16,00

Ph.: +39 0382 399 527
Tuesday: 9.30-12.30, Via Sant’Agostino, 1
Wednesday: 14.00-16.00, Via Ferrata, 1

The visa application kit will be filled in at the Sportello Stranieri, and after that, the student should take the kit to the post office (that has a Sportello Amico) to send it to the immigration authorities.
The postal fees and the sending will cost about € 60,00.

The nearest Sportello Amico is at the main Post Office in Piazza della Posta, 1.

After having handed out the necessary papers, students receive a receipt of the request for a residence permit from the post office.
The immigration authorities will contact the applicant and give an appointment at the immigration office (Questura) in Pavia.

The local Questura is located in Via Rismondo, 68.

The Italian post offices offer a new service on the web site called Portale Immigrazione, that allows you to check the status of your permit of stay application. To know whether your permit is ready to be issued you can visit the following website (you need to use your user name and password that can be found on post office receipt).

Questura di Pavia link

Be aware that if you stay in Italy for less than 3 months for study, turism, business reasons, you do not need to apply for a permit of stay.
Nevertheless, if you travel from a Schengen Area member State, you must report your presence within 8 days after entering Italy at the Questura by submitting the form "Presence's declare" (filled out and signed by you). You must fill out the Presence's declare only if you stay in Italy at your family's members, parents or friends.
In the case you will stay in a hotel, the registration form of the hotel (signed by you at your arrival) reports your presence as well as the form Presence's declare. Therefore you do not need to fill out that document. The hotel manager will provide you a copy of the hotel registration. Please keep always with you  the copy and show it to any police offices if requested.
If you travel from a Schengen-Area non member State, you do not need to report your presence at the Questura because the stamp that the border authorities will put on your travel documents already attests your presence.